What does Valentine’s Day mean to you? Is it chocolate and flowers? A romantic dinner for two? DIY Valentine’s cards that took 2 hours to make for your child’s school friends? Or just a random warm and fuzzy commercial reason to help us get through the most arctic month of the year?
For my family it’s definitely all of the above but also a little more…. Yes, the hubby and I will go out for a nice romantic dinner. Yes, our little ones for weeks now, have eagerly been anticipating a chocolate, heart and teddy bear filled day. And yes, it is a super commercial excuse to buy junk we don’t need. Doesn’t mean we won’t participate a little though…after all it is also just plain old fun
Despite all this, I would also like to propose a little more. Maybe this year in addition to the typical Valentine’s celebrations, we could actually take a moment to teach our children that it’s more than just chocolate and flowers.
This is a great opportunity to show our kids that love comes in many forms. Family love, friendship love, romantic love, love for the activities and ideas we are passionate about, love of nature and so much more!
So this year, I will encourage my little family to do the following:
- Tell a friend why they love and appreciate them
- Call a grandparent and let them know they are loved
- Remember and acknowledge the love they had for someone who is no longer in our daily lives.
- Identify the things they love most about themselves and about the world around them.
- Remember to love with their words and their actions all year long, not just on this cinnamon heart filled weekend 😉
- Look for unconventional sources of love in our community and around the world. It is important to teach children that all love is beautiful even when it is different from our own.
No matter how many things differentiate us from one another, the one thing that binds every single human being on this planet together is love. We all want to love and be loved. Even though we are bombarded daily with news stories and images of atrocities world wide, each and every person wants the same thing. Love.
So from my little corner of the world to yours…Happy Valentine’s Day! May you be surrounded by the ones you love and pass on some love to others too.